The island of Crete is the largest Greek island, and quite possibly the most unique. It is not quite as alluring as Santorini or Mykonos. However, in Crete, it is possible to step into small towns and villages where the 10,000th tourist of the day has yet to arrive by tour bus.
While exploring the island, we rented a car in Crete and were able to snap dozens of beautiful photos, enjoy traditional Cretan meals, fantastic wine, sweeping views, ancient ruins, and isolated bays. Even pictures of Crete do not do it justice.
It is a beautiful island that requires some work to crack into its hidden gems.
Experiencing Crete requires escaping mass tourism on the northern beaches of the island. All inclusive resorts, significant hotels, beach bars, “Tavernas,” ATV rentals, and mega clubs all dominate this region as do many visiting Europeans who are anything, but Greek. However, with effort, there are plenty of things to do in Crete, and the island holds some beautiful sights and stunning beaches to be seen and experienced.
Beautiful Photos of Crete, Greece
Quick Greek Travel Tips
- ‘Hello’ and ‘Thank You’ in Greek: “Yasou” and “Efharisto”
- Currency: Euro – (EUR) – €
- Visa: Schengen visa. Which is 90 days in the European Union out of 180. Many nationalities are granted this on arrival for free. Check with your embassy to see if that is you.
- Weather: The weather in Greece is a Mediterranean climate. This means winters are mild and rainy, while summers are warm and dry with plenty of sunshine throughout the year.
- What to Pack: Warm weather clothes and a swimsuit, don’t forget a good pair of clothes to go and a jacket for cool nights. Read about what to wear in Greece.
Plan and Pack for Greece
- Packing Guide — Check out our Greece Packing List to help pack your bags and ensure you don’t leave anything at home.
- Rent a Car — We suggest most visitors consider renting a car for the best trip possible. Try Discover Car Hire to compare quotes from different rental agencies. Check Price Here!
- Protect Your Trip — Don’t forget to purchase travel insurance! We always carry travel insurance to protect us from injury, theft, or a canceled trip. Try HeyMondo for competitive short and long-term plans.
- Tours in Greece — Check out our list of the best tours you can enjoy in Greece!
- Travel Adapter – Make sure you find a good adapter to keep your personal electronics charged. Otherwise, you may be paying for a cheap one once you land. Purchase one here.