The island of Crete is the largest Greek island, and quite possibly the most unique. It is not quite as alluring as Santorini or Mykonos. However, in Crete, it is possible to step into small towns and villages where the 10,000th tourist of the day has yet to arrive by tour bus.
While exploring the island, we rented a car and were able to snap dozens of beautiful photos, enjoy traditional Cretan meals, fantastic wine, sweeping views, ancient ruins, and isolated bays. Even pictures of Crete do not do it justice.
It is a beautiful island that requires some work to crack into its hidden gems.
Experiencing Crete requires escaping mass tourism on the northern beaches of the island. All inclusive resorts, significant hotels, beach bars, “Tavernas,” ATV rentals, and mega clubs all dominate this region as do many visiting Europeans who are anything, but Greek. However, with effort, Crete holds some beautiful sights to be seen and experienced.
Beautiful Photos of Crete, Greece
Plan and Pack for Greece
This all depends on where you’re heading to the beach, but a portable Bluetooth speaker is great to have when you’re in a group. We travel with a small BOOM speaker and take it with us when it feels appropriate. We say this because it’s often best to leave it at home on small secluded beaches so not to annoy anyone else with your music — no one’s that good of a DJ.
Want to fit in in Greece? Get yourself some Rainbow brand sandals, seriously everyone around you will be wearing them – and for a good reason. They are uber comfortable once you break them in and last forever!
Skin cancer is for real! Don’t forget your SPF when traveling around Greece. We recommend ordering some online before leaving the house as you will need it underneath the sun in the summer.
Make sure to protect your eyes from the sun. There are a lot of options for sunglasses and everyone should own at least a pair. It’s best to make sure they do have UV protection for the health of your eyes.
Most hotels will provide you with a towel, but they often aren’t suitable or allowed on the beaches. I like to travel with a microfiber towel because they are light and fold up small, and they also don’t cling on to sand our dirt. Here are a few of our favorite travel towels.
Travel in Greece
- The 10 Best Greek Islands To Visit in 2020
- 19 Best Things to do in Paros, Greece • Paros Island Travel Guide
- Traveling to Greece? Here are 20 Greece Travel Tips to Know
- 11 Best Things to do in Naxos, Greece • Naxos Island Travel Guide
- 17 Best Things to do in Milos, Greece • Milos Island Travel Guide
- 18 Epic Things to do in Crete, Greece
- 30 Facts About Greece That Will Blow Your Mind
- 20 AMAZING Things to do in Mykonos, Greece
- 20 Amazing Things to Do in Rhodes
- Renting a Car in Greece? Here are 16 MUST READ Tips
- Best Time To Visit Greece (2020) • Month By Month Breakdown
- Renting a Car in Crete? Here are 17 MUST READ Tips
- What to Wear in Greece • The Ultimate Greek Packing List
- 15 of the Best Things to do in Santorini, Greece
- 10 Best Beaches in Europe You Need Check Out in 2020