We have never been on a “honeymoon.” However, we have had our fair share of romantic experiences in many countries abroad. It shouldn’t be any surprise that we are often asked for travel advice from those seeking out the best honeymoon destination.
We get emails all the time like, “Hey, I am planning my honeymoon and was wondering what the most romantic place you’ve two have traveled to. I would love to hear your advice!”
Given our experience, I guess we can’t blame them. As a couple, we’ve traveled to over 75 countries and counting. With all that time spent internationally, we’ve managed to form a pretty good list of the world’s best honeymoon destinations.
If you were to walk up to us on the street and ask us what the best honeymoon destinations in the world are, these are the answers we would give you. They range from mountainous adventures, city escapes, gorgeous beaches, and even safaris. There is something here for every type of couple!
The Best Honeymoon Destinations (in the World)
We finally made it to the Maldives this past year and were blown away by how beautiful the islands are. There is no doubt this is one of the best honeymoon places in the world. The water really is that blue, and the sand is that white. The series of coral atolls spread across the Indian Ocean is an enticing getaway with white sands beaches, turquoise water, and tropical weather.
The water is home to an abundance of marine life so diverse and snorkelers can rejoice in close encounters with rays, sharks, whales, and a dizzying number of fishes.
To make it only better some of the world’s most luxurious resorts in the world sit on top of these atolls with indulgent water villas and beach bungalows. It’s well worth the long flight it will undoubtedly take you to get to the middle of the Indian Ocean.
- 20 Maldives Travel Tips To Know Before You Go
- Maafushivaru Maldives Review • Finding Peace on the Ari Atoll
- Kurumba Maldives Review • Relax at the First Resort in the Maldives
- Velassaru Maldives Review • Our Favorite Luxury Resort in the Maldives
- Kuramathi Maldives Review • Enjoying One of Best Dives Spots in the World
- What to Wear in the Maldives • The Ultimate Maldives Packing List
If we had to pick one destination in the world to go on a honeymoon, the Seychelles would be the destination we’d pick. The group of 115 islands that make up the Seychelles Archipagelo is almost too beautiful to be real.
It is this group of islands in the middle of the Indian Ocean that you can enjoy a luxurious honeymoon in the middle of the lush green jungle among crystal warm water and sparkling granite.
The islands are formed from granite and their rocky shores can be found nowhere else on earth. They are definitely the best tropical honeymoon destination in the world.
- Where are the Seychelles? All About the Islands You HAVE to Visit
- When is the best time to visit the Seychelles?
Many honeymooners flock to the Caribbean for their special trip, but there is something special waiting for you in Scotland. The country offers absolutely fantastic and breathtaking scenery, world-class cuisine, and plenty of things to do.
A few great things to do to that are a bit different from your typical honeymoon is road trip along the NC500, rent out an entire castle, hike in a tranquil forest and glamp in a yurt, or indulge in some of the finest seafood in the world.
- Edinburgh’s Hogmanay • Celebrating New Year’s Eve in Scotland
- 10 Things to Know Before you Travel to Scotland
- The Ultimate Scotland Packing List • What to Pack for Scotland
- 20 Fun Things to do in Edinburgh on Your First Trip
- 15 North Coast 500 Tips to Know Before You Go
- North Coast 500 Accommodation • Where to stay on the NC500
The Canadian Rockies are some of the prettiest mountain ranges I’ve ever seen. Banff National Park is the perfect place for both a winter or summer honeymoon.
If you opt for a snowy honeymoon you’re sure to be blown away by the beauty of the mountains instead of palm trees. If you like to ski or snowboard you’ll have many options for world-class ski resorts in the Canadian Rockies.
If you travel here any other time of year it’s still going to be an epic time. Alberta is the perfect place for the adventurous couples that like to be outdoors and hike in the mountains.
- Why We Moved to Canada • Our New Home in Alberta!
- 12 of the Best Ski Resorts in Canada
- 50 of the Best Things to do in Canada!
- 21 EPIC Things to do in Canmore
- 10 Awesome Things to do in Banff in the Winter
Italy is one of my favorite countries of all time to travel. Cameron and I have traveled there together on a romantic trip, we have also traveled with family before, and I even tackled the country on my own doing the solo female backpacker thing. There is really nothing not to love about the beautiful country.
A stunning Mediterranean coastline, rolling hills with vineyards, world-class cuisine, and €1.30 cappuccinos? What’s not to love! Some of the most romantic places in the country to honeymoon are Perugia, Florence, the Cinque Terre, and the Amalfi Coast. After you book your Italian honeymoon make sure to check out our things to know about Italy.
- 15 Things to Know Before Going To Italy
- What to Wear in Italy • The Ultimate Italy Packing List For 2019
- 17 Unique Things To Do In Venice, Italy + What NOT To Do
- 30 Italy Travel Tips to Know Before Visiting Italy
- A Two Week Italy Itinerary • Don’t Miss the Best Cities in Italy
- Val di Sole & Madonna Di Campiglio • The Best Hidden Ski Destinations in Europe
We spent three months traveling around South Africa. Heck, we even bought a car there! The country is vast and extremely varied from region to region making it one of the best honeymoon places in Africa. It’s typical on holiday to spend a few magical night in a luxury safari lodge only to be dining in one best wine regions in the world the next day.
Follow that up with a city escape in the iconic Cape Town and road trip down the amazing Garden Route. There is just so much to explore in the country. We also love lesser known destinations like the Drakensberg, Kalahari, and Sunshine coast. To make matter better traveling in South Africa makes for an affordable African honeymoon as prices are some of the lowest in Africa.
- 20 South Africa Travel Tips for Your Vacation
- South Africa Travel Guide
- You Should Be Eating and Drinking in Cape Town Right Now
- The Ultimate South Africa Road Trip Guide
- Buying a Car in South Africa and Being Undesirable
- Six Must See Places In South Africa
- How Ecotourism in South Africa is Implemented at Gondwana Game Reserve
- 21 Fun Things to do in Cape Town Today
- Romantic Things to do in Cape Town on Every Budget
If you want to wake up among the worlds tallest and oldest sand dunes then a honeymoon in Namibia will make you and your lover very happy. Namibia is a honeymoon destination country that many know nothing about, even my parents haven’t even heard of it!
However, when we traveled there we were blown away by the beauty of the country. It almost didn’t even feel real! It’s a great place to honeymoon and enjoy some romantic solitude in the desert. What makes a honeymoon in the desert is the solitude. Standing alone in the middle of a sea of red sand is humbling and almost deafening!
- 30 Unique Things to do in Namibia!
- A Namibia Road Trip • The Perfect Itinerary Across the Namib Desert
- 16 Namibia Travel Tips to Know Before You Go
- Namibia Travel Guide
- 50 Photos That Will Make You Want to Visit Namibia
- Experiencing Wolwedans Dunes Lodge and More in Namibia
For a honeymoon filled with world-class adventure activities and jaw-dropping scenery then head to South Pacific Ocean. New Zealand is well known for its vast mountains, rolling pasture land, adventure activities, breathtaking fiords, plus a few active volcanic zones.
The country is divided into two islands – North and South. South Island is great for adrenaline pumping hikes, glacier climbing, and bungee jumping. While North Island, on the other hand, showcases active volcanoes, geysers, and hot springs.
If you’re more into eating and drinking head to Marlborough for some of the worlds best Savinougn Blanc.
Croatia is a big draw for many honeymooners and even backpackers. It’s easy to see why! The country packs a whole lot of history, beautiful beaches, surreal sunsets, and outdoor activities in for a fraction of the cost of other destinations in Western Europe.
We’ve done a few Croatian road trips, and can definitely recommend Istria for great food, wine, and scenery while towns like Split, Hvar, and Dubrovnik in Southern Croatia are great for a beach getaway. Just be warned in the high season tourists are flocking to Croatia in mass.
- Where to Go in Croatia to Have an Amazing Vacation
- Things to on Hvar Island, Croatia + Important Travel Info
- 20 of the Most Beautiful Cities and Towns in Europe
Turkey may not be what you normally think of when you plan a honeymoon; however, the country is wonderful to travel through and the Turkish people are among some of the most hospitable. Two highlights for honeymoons are Cappadocia and Bodrum.
Cappadocia is a fairytale town well known for their Chimney house rock formations. Take a sunrise hot air balloon ride and feel like you’re floating through an Alien world. Bodrum is a beautiful seaside town perfect for yachting, ancient history and ruins, and a great nightlife.
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Cappadocia: The Best Place in Turkey for All Travelers
- 18 Fun Things to do in Istanbul!
- 10 of the Best Cave Hotels in Cappadocia
It’s no secret that Bali has been a honeymoon destination for decades. With the rise of social media just about everyone has seen videos and photos of the gorgeous island. The tiny Indonesian island is welcoming to foreigners and offers so much to tourists it’s hard to say no to a honeymoon here.
The island is incredibly beautiful with lush green forests, clean beaches, rich cultural. It’s easy to escape to find your zen in places like Ubud, while still enjoying the coastal vibes and party atmosphere that many go to Southeast Asia in search of fun. One of the best parts? Bali is still considered a cheap destination by Western standards to travel through so it’s a great budget honeymoon destination!
- Here’s the Seven Best Bali Seminyak Hotels to Stay At
- What to Wear in Bali • The Ultimate Bali Packing List!
- WHERE TO STAY IN BALI + The Best Areas to Stay
- 14 Amazing Bali Waterfalls You Need to Check Out
- 30 OF THE BEST THINGS TO DO IN BALI
- Ubud Monkey Forest • 10 Tips for Visiting Bali’s Famous Attraction
Who hasn’t dreamed of seeing a pride of lions in the Masai Mara, or having an elephant graze right outside their tent at night? Kenya is the ultimate destination for a romantic African safari just like the olden days.
There is even a unique Kenyan camp designed specifically for guests to feel as if they are in 1920’s Africa! Oh, don’t forget to travel in style. We love having our safari gear so we can look like Robert Redford and Meryl Streep in Out of Africa. One of our absolute favorite safaris in Kenya was the Masai Mara!
- 10 Kenya Travel Tips to Know Before You Go
- 29 Ethical Wildlife Tourism Experiences to Take Part In
- Africa’s Best Safari Animals + Where to See Them
- All You Need to Know About the Masai Mara National Reserve
- These Four Diani Beach Hotels Are Amazing
- A Safari in Nairobi National Park • All You Need to Know!
- A Relaxing Weekend at Hemingways Nairobi
Many people head to the beach for their honeymoon, but I think a winter holiday sounds just as dreamy. Norway is so beautiful it’s really hard to compare its beauty to anything else. It has that unique Scandinavian beauty that is a mix of rustic, wild, and charm. Norway (Norge) is the westernmost, northernmost, and easternmost country in Scandinavia.
The further north you go the closer to the Arctic Ocean you are and in my opinion the more amazing. A honeymoon holiday here is perfect for those who have spent just a little too much time at the beach (perhaps you live on the coast) and want to see a different part of the world. Tromsø is actually rated one of the top places to see the aurora in the world. Head there after September for that experience! Heading to Scandinavia? Read our Europe Packing List post first!
- How to Check a Northern Lights Cruise Off Your Bucket List
- Why You Should Visit Norway in the Winter!
Are you an adventurous couple traveling from the US? Costa Rica is the perfect honeymoon destination for you! With cheap and short flights to the country, it’s no wonder Costa Rica is a tourist hotspot.
The central American country is rich in flora and fauna so things like hiking, biking, diving, rafting, and surfing are very popular to do while on honeymoon. If you’re heading there make sure to stop at one of our favorite lodges in the country.
- The Eight Best Places to Stay in Costa Rica
- 24 Costa Rica Travel Tips to Know Before You Go
- What’s it like to Travel in Costa Rica?
- El Silencio Eco-Lodge • Reenergizing in the Costa Rican Cloud Forest
- The Ultimate Central America Packing List
- Costa Rica Travel Guide
After 80+ countries I have come to the conclusion that Japan is my absolute favorite country to travel through.The politeness, the sushi, the cleanliness, the temples and shrines, and just about everything in Japanese culture makes it such a wonderful place for outsiders to experience.
I recently brought Cameron back to the country with me to have a romantic experience. Thankfully he loved it just as much as I did and we have plans to return every year now. I would never hesitate to tell anyone to travel to Japan. It’s such a safe, unique, and delicious destination you could spend years here and never get bored. If you’re after mountains, beaches, cities, good food, or cultural immersion on your honeymoon you won’t be disappointed with Japan. It has it all!
- Learning to Speak Japanese with Rosetta Stone
- Where should you buy a Japan Rail Pass?
- The best places to visit in Japan!
- Rabbit Island, Japan: Take the Okunoshima Ferry to Wonderland
- 30 Unique Things To Do In Japan • Ultimate Japan Bucket List
- Furano Ski Resort • The Best Spot For Japow
The Galapagos are a small group of islands off the coast of Ecuador and are well known for their impressive diversity of wildlife. Sea lions, giant tortoises, and even penguins await you in the Galapagos making these little islands perfect for a couple that loves to explore and has a passion for animals.
The only way to get there is by cruise or plane from mainland Ecuador so be sure to book in advance as the islands are only suitable for a few tourists at a time. Their exclusivity makes them one of the world’s great honeymoon destinations.
- Galapagos Packing List Items You Need to Pack For Your Trip
- What’s it like to go on a Galapagos Cruise?
- Mashpi Lodge • Experiencing a Unique Eco Lodge in Ecuador
- Exploring Quito from Casa Gangotena • South America’s Most Romantic Hotel
Tahiti is the largest of the French Polynesian islands and is surrounded by volcanic mountain ranges and black beaches. It’s always been a great place to honeymoon especially for those with large budgets.
This is where you see photos of the luxurious overwater bungalows and crystal clear water. Tahiti is a great place to relax but many people also travel here to go surfing, scuba diving, snorkeling, and deep-sea fishing.
I hate to be cliche and add Hawaii to this list, as it is one of the most visited spots to visit in the US. However, it’s hard not to include it on this list of best beach honeymoon destinations.
The state really is just that stunning to see in real life. Maui is probably the most visited island, however, Oʻahu, Kauaʻi, and Lānaʻi also offer incredible beaches and scenery.
- Hawaii Packing List Items You’ll Want For Your Vacation
- How to Plan an Epic Trip to Hawaii
- 16 of the Best Things to do in Kauai
- 30 Awesome Things To Do In Maui
- The Best Things to do in Kona
An Iceland honeymoon is sure to get you and your partner excited. The Nordic country may not have the beaches of Hawaii or the Bahamas, but it is so much more! Iceland is a land that is just waiting to be uncovered. Intimate hot springs, beautiful glaciers, majestic wildlife, and striking waterfalls come together in this Scandinavian island and it is sure to dazzle any traveler, especially those looking for romance on their honeymoon (who isn’t?).
Summer months yield 24-hours of daylight from the “Midnight Sun,” and long winter months provide a dark sky for the Aurora Borealis. Either way you look at it, you’re in for a special and unique treat in the picturesque country of Iceland. I’ve been to Iceland twice now, once alone and together as a couple with Cameron. Our latest trip was driving around the incredible ring road to uncover all the nooks and crannies of the country.
- 15 Tips to Survive a Campervan Trip in Iceland
- Reynisfjara • The Famous Black Sand Beach in Iceland To Visit Now
- 11 Must See Places in Iceland
- 20 Iceland Travel Tips • Things to Know Before You Go
- 15 Iceland Honeymoon Ideas To Consider For Ultimate Romance
- Happy Campers Review • The Best Campervan Rental in Iceland?
- A 12 Day Iceland Ring Road Road Trip Itinerary (+ Snaefellsnes Peninsula)
- How To Drive The Golden Circle in Iceland Yourself
This East African island packs a whole lot of punch for things to do and experience. It’s safe to say that excitement and relaxation can be had on every corner of Zanzibar. At the same time, you can still easily relax on a beautiful beach and dive into the warm clear water.
To me Zanzibar is the honeymoon island experience to combine with an African safari. If you go on safari I would recommend saving a honeymoon in Zanzibar for last so that you can go home relax and refreshed. Zanzibar is also great if you want cultural immersion. Stone Town has to be one of the most interesting places I’ve ever seen.
- REVIEWED: The Best Hotels In Zanzibar (Yes, They Really Are Heaven on Earth)
- The Best Zanzibar Beaches • Plus Zanzibar Beach Resort & Hotel Reviews
- Travel to Zanzibar • 12 Things to Know Before You Visit
- 12 Fabulous Places to Visit in Zanzibar
- We Sat at a Zanzibar Cafe and got a Different Glimpse into Life There
- Kilindi Zanzibar Review • The Best Zanzibar Honeymoon Resort
Plan and Pack for Your Honeymoon
Get a Travel Rewards Credit Card
How do we travel so much and avoid going broke? Well, we actually have many travel rewards credit cards. How many? Over 20 to be exact. If you’re a responsible credit card user I highly recommend looking at these travel rewards credit cards and earning points and airmiles for your purchases.
Travel Water Bottle
Plastic pollution is a problem everywhere so it’s best not to contribute to the problem buying plastic water bottles everywhere – plus the water from the taps here is perfectly safe to drink. We’ve shifted to using an insulated aluminum water bottle as it handles the hot sun well.
However, we also love filtered water bottles in areas we’re uncertain of the water supply. Read more about favorite water bottle for travel in our post.
A cover-up is one of those beach vacation clothes you should always travel within your luggage. When packing for a day at the beach, make sure you don’t forget one. Not only do they look cute, but they will also protect you from the suns harsh rays.
Many establishments don’t allow beachgoers to wear just a swimsuit, so this is where the cover-up is essential. Most of my cover-ups come from Pitusa.
If you’re wondering what travel necessities to bring to on your honeymoon then good walking shoes should be your top concern.
No matter what you will need a beach bag when heading to the beach. This is to throw in anything like towels, a book, a speaker, sunglasses, snacks, and sunscreen. As full-time travelers, we often use our daypacks for trips to the beach since a tote is unnecessary.
However, a classic tote that everyone has in their closet is a great option for those on short trips or live close to the beach. They also travel well as they can fold flat and lie in your luggage. For family beach goers I recommend a large yet durable beach tote like this one.
Skin cancer is for real! Don’t forget your SPF when traveling around the world. We recommend ordering some online before leaving the house as you will need it underneath the sun in the summer.
We highly recommend getting an eco friendly sun cream that does not contain harmful chemicals.
Make sure to protect your eyes from the sun. There are a lot of options for sunglasses and everyone should own at least a pair. It’s best to make sure they do have UV protection for the health of your eyes.
We made our first investment in quality polarized sunglasses with a pair of SMITH Optics Lowdown 2. Truthfully, not everyone needs to invest $150 in a pair of sunglasses, but they do make a huge difference from the crappy $10 ones.
Most hotels will provide you with a towel, but they often aren’t suitable or allowed on the beaches. I like to travel with a microfiber towel because they are light and fold up small, and they also don’t cling on to sand our dirt. Here are a few of our favorite travel towels.
Make sure you find a good universal adapter like the one I have to keep you charged. Otherwise, you may be paying for a cheap one once you land.
Check Out These Posts
- 15 Iceland Honeymoon Ideas That Make for a Memorable Experience
- Why Not Head to Africa for the Perfect Honeymoon Escape?
- 10 Romantic Getaways in Michigan To Escape Everyday Life
- 10 Romantic Getaway Ideas in Asheville, North Carolina
- Kilindi Zanzibar: The Best Zanzibar Honeymoon Resort
- 25 Things to Know Before Visiting Machu Picchu
- 16 Romantic Things to do in Cape Town on Every Budget
- 66 Gifts for Travelers in 2019 • A List of the BEST Travel Gifts
Renting a Car
- Tips for Renting a Car in Scotland
- Tips for Renting a Car in Italy
- Tips for Renting a Car in Iceland
- Tips for Renting a Car in Ireland
- How to Drive in Scotland
- How to Drive in Ireland
- How to Drive in Iceland
Tips For Your Next Trip
- Road Trip Essentials You Need to Have
- 13 Rental Car Tips You NEED to Read
- Top 25 Tips For Female Travelers
- How To Save Money For Travel
- Travel Banking Tips To Save Money
- Long Haul Flight Survival Tips
Find Your Next Trip
- Things to do in Ayia Napa
- Things to do in Cyprus
- The Best Beaches around Cyprus
- My Favorite European Beaches
- The Best Beaches in the Algarve
- Get $100 With This Airbnb Coupon
- The Best Hotels in Zanzibar
- National Geographic Mashpi Cloud Lodge
- Jade Mountain Resort in St. Lucia
Pack Your Bags
Last Updated on